Hydraulic cylinders are used on a wide variety of construction and off-road equipment. Large bore and heavy duty fluid power components are often necessary for machinery that operates in rough and rugged conditions. These machines require high pressure ratings and frequently need bolted construction to maintain cylinder strength under heavy loads.
RAM has over 40 years of expertise in the design and supply of hydraulic cylinders for Original Equipment Manufacturers in the construction industry. RAM custom designed cylinders consistently meet the quality and dependability expected by manufacturers and equipment users throughout North America.
RAM understands the rugged working conditions of the off-road equipment sector and the high demands placed on reliable hydraulic cylinder performance. Our cylinders are custom designed and built to accommodate the unique working environments of this equipment.
RAM technical sales and engineering teams work carefully with OEM's to understand the operating conditions that may influence your hydraulic cylinder design. These considerations may include:
Continuous Equipment Use – normal working periods, need for constant cylinder cycling
Equipment Capacity – mechanical loads and weights
Operating Environments –ability to withstand hot, cold, wet and/or dry conditions
Materials Composition – substances in contact with equipment such as earth, snow, salt, heavy/light, mixed or abrasive matter
Operating Pressures – particularly higher PSI ranges
Risk of Cylinder Contamination – cylinder location(s) and exposure to external elements
External Impacts/Strains – frequency and magnitude of possible stress on the cylinders
Degree of Accuracy and Control required of material movement – use of position sensor technologies
Fluid Compatibility - seal and material selection to work with any type of fluid media including petroleum based, water based and fire resistant
Environmental Considerations - secondary sealing, containment and leak detection
Field Maintenance – cylinder accessibility, parts inter-changeability requirements, easy teardown designs
This assessment of your equipment's' operating environment is important, as our expertise is in designing and manufacturing hydraulic cylinders that will meet both the cylinder fit and functionality you require.
The RAM team is well-versed in the latest technologies in materials, cylinder componentry, cylinder design and manufacturing methods available. A wide range of cylinder designs and sizes (both bore and stroke) are available to accommodate every type of cylinder on your equipment. Many custom design options can be incorporated into the hydraulic cylinder, including:
- High strength materials such as 4140, QT100, AR100 and other high yield strength carbon and alloy steels
- Increased shaft protection through induction hardened rods, thicker chrome, chrome over nickel and other material alternatives
- Leading edge seal technologies for heavy duty use, high wear environments, and abrasion resistant requirements
- Expanded seal sets to resist shock pressures
- Bellows for external shaft protection and external guards for ports, hoses and oil lines
- Bolt in glands for added strength
- High pressure ports (SAE Code 61/62 4 bolt flange designs)
- Integrated valves (relief, counterbalance or PO check) to protect the cylinder, maintain position, and control the rate of extension and retraction to counteract external forces
- Safety lockout
- Position sensor technology for increased cylinder precision and control
- Replaceable bushings and bearings for easier serviceability
- Hardened pins for added durability
- Custom designed mounting configurations to accommodate increased surface contact
RAM customers receive onsite consultations, prototype services, reverse engineering design, 3D modeling, technical troubleshooting and ongoing service to ensure they receive the best in hydraulic cylinders for their equipment.
RAM's custom approach to OEM hydraulic cylinder design gives manufacturer's a reliable source for cylinder's engineered specifically for their equipment. Contact our team of experts today!